Get your lifeguard certification! This course will provide participants the skills needed to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies. Participants will also gain the knowledge to provide professional level care for cardiac and breathing emergencies, injuries and sudden illness until emergency medical personnel take over. This 2-year certification will qualify participants for most entry-level aquatic positions. Participants must be at least 15 years of age and able to complete the following pre-requisites:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
- Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. You should place your hands under your armpits.
- Complete the following timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Your face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object while keeping your face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. You should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
*Students must complete online work prior to the first day of class. Information will be emailed one week prior to the class. Min./Max.: 4/10
Date: March 15-17
Time: 7 - 11:30 a.m.
Location: Emporia Recreation Center
Registration Closes: March 8