The Emporia Recreation Commission was formed by Emporia voters as a joint recreation commission in 1953 to provide local recreation programs for the youth of Emporia under the auspices of the Emporia School Board. The ERC is, however, a separate entity, although the Emporia Board of Education has authority over the ERC budget.
A five-member Commission, comprised of community members and elected officials are appointed by the Board of Education and the City Commission, sets policy for the ERC. One citizen is appointed from each governing body, and one is at-large. All members serve four year terms, without compensation.
USD 253 Appointments
- 1 USD School Board Member (4 Year Term)
- 1 USD Citizen Appointee (4 Year Term)
City of Emporia Appointments
- 1 City Commission Member (4 Year Term)
- 1 City Citizen Appointee (4 Year Term)
Emporia Recreation Commission Appointments
- 1 At-Large Appointee (4 Year Term)